James Collier Norton
NORTON, James Collier, retired veterinarian, 1892-1912; b. Aug. 16, 1867, Wilton, Iowa; s. C. W. and Mary Collier Norton; came to Ariz. from Wilton, Ia., Jan. 12, 1892; ed.: Norton Acad., Wilton, Ia.; B.S. Ia. State College, Ames, Ia.; Doctor of Veterinary Medicine, 1890; m. Clara Tufts, Wilton, Ia., Oct. 13, 1892; ch. Marietta Norton Brumbaugh, Washington, D.C. Okley T., Tucson, Ariz. Victor C., Eugene, Ore. James C. Jr., Los Angeles, Calif.; Territorial Veterinarian for Ariz., 1893-1912, during which time served under administrations of seven territorial governors; resigned when Ariz. was admitted to statehood; built and operated Norton Dairy, 1912-29, located on tract now occupied by Phoenix Municipal Park; estab. wholesale stock and equipment rental business, supplying mining companies, farmers and contractors operating on the Imperial Valley Irrigation Project from the Colo. River and other Reclamation Projects; subdivider; real-estate broker; mem. Rotary Club; past pres. C. of C.; Y.M.C.A., (dir.); Elder, Presbyterian Church since 1893; Home: 1601 W. Vernon in Del Note Place Addition, Phoenix, Ariz.