John Gerhart Heitshusen (H117) was born 2 Jan 1853 in Hude, Niedersachsen, Germany to Johann Heinrich and Katherine (Kohlman) Heitshusen.
John immigrated to the United States about 1870 - ship unknown.
John married Kathrine "Katie" Roth in 1879 in Homestead, Iowa, Iowa. Katie was born 25 Nov 1855 in Dundenke, Baden, Germany to Matthias and Christine (Wehrle) Roth.
John and Katie had the following children:
- Katherine C. Heitshusen - born 27 Nov 1879 in Lyons, New Brunswick, Canada (?). She died at the age of 77 on 12 Feb 1957 in Alton, Madison, Illinois.
- Henry William Heitshusen - born 28 May 1881 in Dodge County, Nebraska. He died at the age of 69 on 1 Jun 1950 in Omaha, Douglas, Nebraska.
- Anna Marie Heitshusen - born 2 Jun 1883 in Nebraska. She died at the age of 57 on 16 Mar 1941 in Santa Ana, Orange, California.
- Maria Wilhelmina "Minnie" Heitshusen - born 28 Nov 1884 in Nebraska. She died at the age of 84 on 25 Nov 1969.
- Emma M. S. Heitshusen - born 10 Nov 1886 in Nebraska. She died at the age of 83 on 12 Jun 1970.
- Johanna Gesine "Hannah" Heitshusen - born 23 Mar 1888 in Nebraska. She died at the age of 60 in 1948.
- Mary Helen Heitshusen - born 1890 in Nebraska. She died at the age of 60 in 1950.
- Johann Heitshusen - born and died in 1892.
- John Heitshusen - born Jan 1894 in Nebraska.
- Willliam Martin "Willie" Heitshusen - born 22 Jan 1896 in Nebraska. He died at the age of 84 on 4 May 1980 in Scribner, Dodge, Nebraska.
1900 - US Federal Census - Kerl Township, Burt, Nebraska (Farmer)
John died at the age of 50 on 23 Sep 1903 in Omaha, Douglas, Nebraska. He was buried in St. John's Cemetery, Hooper, Dodge, Nebraska. His obituary was published 24 Sep 1903 in the Hooper Sentinel, Hooper, Dodge, Nebraska:
John Heitshusen Passes Away
John Heitshusen, an old settler of the Sommerville neighborhood, died at the Swedish hospital in Omaha, last evening, after an operation for appendicitis and gall stone. He had been sick only a short time, having been taken to the hospital a week ago last Monday, when the operation was performed, and from which he seemed to be making a fine recovery. But some complications arose yesterday, and he died quite suddenly about 8 o'clock in the evening.
Deceased was born in Oldenburg, Germany, January 2, 1853, and had lived in this country near Sommerville for upwards of twenty years. He leaves a wife and nine children.
1920 - US Federal Census - Pershing Township, Burt, Nebraska (living with son Willie)
Katie died at the age of 69 on 22 Aug 1925 in Hooper, Dodge, Nebraska. She was buried in St. John's Cemetery, Hooper, Dodge, Nebraska.